WTF’s Expedition CaveBiomes, Ores, Trees, and Tweaks Mod 1.10.2, 1.9.4 is a mod made up of a collection of modules, however the different modules can be enabled or disabled, to fine tune how you use it. While the different parts can be used independently, working together they are designed to encourage and enhance an exploration based survival playstyle.
CaveBiomes: Making Spelunking exciting since 1.7.10
CaveBiomes is the central module of the set, and is focussed around the concept of making underground cave exploration a bit more interesting, by adding a few new blocks like stalactites and stalagmites, and then utilising existing them alongside vanilla blocks to decorate the floors, walls, and ceilings of caves, based off of the biome-type and depth of the cave. New dungeons and cave subtypes can also be found underground, using both vanilla mobs and the mobs supplied by this mod.
New Blocks: Stalactites and Stalagmites, Lava Crust, Mossy Stone, Mossy Dirt, Wet Stone, Foxfire (rare, glowing mushrooms)
Mobs: Armed and Dangerous
- Mummies: Vanilla zombies wearing mummy wraps, can be found in desserts or other sandy biomes.
- Pharaoh’s: more dangerous mummies, which can be found buried in their tombs in sandy biomes.
- Skeleton Knights: Vanilla skeletons armed with a sword, in chainmail, found only in strongholds or other underground structures
- Skeleton Mages: Vanilla skeletons armed with a blaze rod, capable of shooting fireballs, found only in strongholds or other underground structures
- Deranged Golems: Vanilla iron golems, gone mad from long abandonment, who will attack the player on sight. Found only in special dungeons.
- Zombie Miner: Vanilla zombies equipped with a pickaxe and helmet. Found only in mineshafts.
Ore Generation and Density: This Mine Is Mine
Rather than generating as shapeless veins, ores can now generate in long thins veins, wide flat sheets, disperse clouds, and other types of formations. Generation can be completely controlled in the config file, and custom ores can be added. Generation rates are scaled to world surface height (so, in tall biomes like mountains, more ore is generated to maintain a uniform density), and generation ranges are also scaled to surface height (e.g. in vanilla, diamonds are only found below a certain Y value, generation by this mod sets them instead to generate below the percentage of the average surface height for the chunk).
Ores also can be found at different densities, dropping up to 3 ores from a single block.
Ores can be generated using a simplex noise generator, rather than just randomly. What this means, is if you find a chunk with a particularly high amount of a certain type of ore, the neighbouring chunks will also probably have high levels of that ore. Same for low levels. Biome types also affect ore generation rates- see the config for details.
Gameplay Tweaks: Harder, Better, Stronger
- Gravity: Cobblestone and dirt are affected by gravity, however only when disturbed by the player breaking an adjacent block, or by an explosion. Larger formations of cobblestone and dirt will not be affected. Supports (fence blocks) can stop blocks from falling in a small area.
- Harder Mining: Stone is significantly more difficult to mine, and instead of dropping as an item first breaks into cobblestone. However, whenever a player mines an ore, adjacent stone fractures into cobblestone. This feature combines with the DenseOre blocks from the ores module, to fracture outwards multiple times, based on tool strength and ore type.
- Explosions: Explosion strength and directionality takes into account adjacent blocks, and can be controlled by placing high-density blocks next to the explosion source. Whether a block is dropped from an explosion is based on the force applied to the block, and explosions generally drop more blocks than previously. Explosions also tend to fracture stone into cobblestone, rather than directly dropping the block. Redstone based blocks (redstone ore, redstone torches, redstone wire, redstone blocks) are not explosive on their own, however if disturbed by an explosion are unstable enough to also explode (be careful doing explosion based mining around redstone ore deposits).
- Torches: Torches will go out if left unattended (if no player is nearby). They can be relit, either by hand or requiring flint and tinder (based on config settings).
- New Ore: Nitre ore can be found on the floor of caves (configurable to other generation types using the ores module. Combines with charcoal and sulfur (craftable from netherrack), to make gunpowder.
- New Item: Sulfur. Made from netherrack.
- New Item: Home Scroll. Crafted with paper and an ender eye, teleports a player to their bed when used.
WTF’s Expedition CaveBiomes, Ores, Trees, and Tweaks Mod Installation
- First you need download and install Minecraft Forge.
- Then download this Minecraft mod file at link below.
- Go to %appdata%. It can also be found by searching for “%appdata%” in your start menu.
- Go to .minecraft/mods folder.
- If the “mods” folder does’nt exist in your PC, you’ll need create one.
- Then drag and drop the downloaded .jar (or .zip) file into mods folder.