Hearst Tower originally began construction in 1928, where a six story-base for a future skyscraper was built for the Hearst Corporation. William Randolph Hearst commissioned the building and awarded Joseph Urban the task to design it. While plans for a future skyscraper were made out, construction stopped at the sixth floor of the base due to the Great Depression. For over seventy years, the six-story base remained. In 2003, construction began on a 46-story tower to be built on the site and was designed by Norman Foster. Foster had to deal with the challenge of preserving the cast stone facade of the original building, so what you see at the base is the same facade that was there in 1928. The tower’s design is innovative in many ways. This was the first LEED Gold skyscraper in New York, the second highest status in LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design). It had many of the standard environmental features, such as low-e glass, use of recycled materials, heating and cooling pipes in the floor, etc. But what makes this tower so unique was Foster’s use of steel. On the exterior, Foster designed a diagonal grid that creates a rigid shell to support the tower. Every beam on the outside acts like a truss, and thus does not need any vertical columns on the exterior. This tower uses about 20-30% less steel than a comparable building of size and height.
Dimensions: 47 x 53 x 175
Resource Pack: High rossferry city resource pack
- Download Hearst Tower Map
- On Windows, use keys Windows+R and then typing “%appdata%/.minecraft/saves/” into the command line. (On a Mac, your save files are in: ~/Library/Application Support/minecraft/saves/). This will open the saves folder.
- Drag your downloader map (after unzip or unrar) in the zip/rar folderMap into saves folder.
- Close windows and reopen Minecraft.
- Select your map and play.