Expandable Backpacks Mod 1.10.2, 1.10, 1.9.4 adds upgradeable backpacks to the game! To get started you will need some obsidian leather which can be crafted with obsidian, leather and 2 strings. Now combine one obsidian leather with a chest to get your first backpack.
Some Basic Recipes:
Rightclick with the backpack or use the “Open Backpack” key (the default for it is ‘C’) to open the backpack. You will see that your backpack only has 1 slot. But don’t worry, you can easily add more slots to it by adding more obsidian leather in the upgrade slot within the upgrade inventory.
You can see a lot of usefull informations about your backpack by pressing shift while hovering over the backpack in any inventory.
The Backpack Slot Inventory
The backpack slot inventory is a new way to store your backpack. This is very usefull because you don’t need to waste the chestplate slot or an inventory slot for your backpack. Simply press the “Open Backpack Slot Inventory” key (the default for it is ‘X’) or use the “Backpack Slot Button” in your inventory to open the backpack slot inventory. To access the backpack in there press the “Open Backpack” key or use the “Open Backpack Button” in your inventory.
If you don’t like the Buttons you can disable them or change their position in your config file.
The Backpack Slot Inventory and Upgrade Inventory
You can access the upgrade inventory by clicking on the second inventory tab.
You can do a lot of things within the upgrade inventory:
- 1. Upgrade Slot: This slot can only be filled with obsidian leather. For each obsidian leather you put in this slot, the backpack will receive 1 extra slot. You can add up to 53 obsidian leather (54 slots. The size of a vanilla large chest) in it.
- 2. Rename: Click on the inventory name to focus it. Now you can rename the backpack to anything you want. Keep in mind that the name cannot be longer then 32 chars at the moment.
- 3. Compartment Slots: Compartment slots can be filled with various compartments. A list of compartments and their effects can be found below. There are a maximum of 3 compartment slots per backpack. Only one is unlocked at the beginning. To get more you will have to add more obsidian leather in the upgrade slot (17 obsidian leather unlocks the second slot and 35 obsidian leather unlocks the third slot).
- 4. Dye Slot: The dye slot can be filled with any vanilla dye. If you do so, the backpack will be colored with the given dye color.
- 5. Privacy Button: If you press the privacy button the backpack will be changed from private mode to public mode or vice versa. You can find more informations about backpack privacy below.
Compartments are basically upgrades with some usefull effects for your backpack.
- Basic: The basic compartment has no effect. It’s only used to craft other compartments. You can craft it with one obsidian leather.
- Soulbound: If you die while having a backpack with this compartment in your inventory you will keep the backpack with all items in it. Needs one nether star.
- Pickup: Picked up items go automatically in the upgraded backpack if they are already at least once in it. For example if your backpack contains 1 redstone and you pick up another redstone the redstone will go in the backpack instead of in your inventory. Needs one hopper.
- Empty: Shift-Rightclick an inventory block to move everything from the upgraded backpack in the inventory block. Needs one cauldron.
- Infinite: Allows you to put other backpacks in the upgraded backpack. This can lead to an infinite storage system. Needs one diamond block.
- Incinerate: Turns your backpack in a portable trash can. Items in the backpack will get destroyed immediately. Be careful with this compartment! Needs one lava bucket.
- Armored: Gives the upgraded backpack a higher protection value (3 Armor Points instead of 1/2 Armor Point). Needs an iron chestplate.
- Swap: Press the ‘Swap Hotbar’ key (the default for it is ‘V’) while having the upgraded backpack in your inventory to swap all items of your hotbar with all items of the backpack’s first 9 slots. This doesn’t swap backpacks so it’s not recommended to have any backpacks in your hotbar while swaping. Needs one gold block.
- Guarded: Players who are not owners of the backpack take damage and receive slowness if they try to open it. Owners of the upgraded backpack also receive a message that someone tried to open their backpack.
- Quivered: Shooting with a bow, consumes arrows from the backpack instead of the inventory but you need at least one arrow in your inventory. Needs one leather.
- Ender: Adds a new inventory tab with your ender chest inventory. Needs an ender chest.
- Sending: Shift-Rightclick an inventory block to select a location. All items in the backpack will be sent to the inventory. You have to be in the same dimension or the inventory block has to be in the overworld (at the moment). Needs one sending controller which can be crafted with 4 ender eyes, 4 redstone blocks and 1 diamond block or nether star.
- Crafting: Adds a new inventory tab with a crafting table gui. Needs a workbench.
- Tank: Allows you to store liquids. Rigthclick a liquid block to store it in your backpack. You can store up to 8 buckets of the same kind. Shift-Rigthclick on the ground to place the liquid. Also adds a new inventory tab with a tank gui which shows the stored liquids and allows you to store/withdraw liquids directly through the backpack. Needs a block of iron.
- Creative: Items in the backpack will not get removed if you try to take them out. Cannot be crafted and can only be received with commands or within the creative tab!
Expandable Backpacks Mod Installation
- First you need download and install Minecraft Forge.
- Then download this Minecraft mod file at link below.
- Go to %appdata%. It can also be found by searching for “%appdata%” in your start menu.
- Go to .minecraft/mods folder.
- If the “mods” folder does’nt exist in your PC, you’ll need create one.
- Then drag and drop the downloaded .jar (or .zip) file into mods folder.